Snapchat is quite different than other social media apps. The Snaps can get deleted after viewing and the overall standard of security is very high. On Snapchat, when you view the stories or messages sent to you, the sender will see an “Opened” label and hence, know that you have seen/read it.
This is the normal behavior of the app. However, there was a feature called Half Swipe that allowed you to preview Snapchat conversations without the sender knowing. Read on to learn more.
- 1 What is Half Swipe on Snapchat?
- 2 Can You Still Half Swipe on Snapchat 2022?
- 3 How to Half Swipe on Snapchat
- 4 How to Open Snapchat Without Them Knowing if Half Swipe is Removed
- 5 Latest FAQs of Half Swipe on Snapchat
- 6 Conclusion
What is Half Swipe on Snapchat?
Half Swipe was a feature that was unintentionally added by the company. Basically, when you swiped the Snaps a half instead of swiping to the end, the app didn’t use to consider the messages or Snaps to be opened. Because of this, it allowed users to read a message without notifying the sender that they had read it. Usually, when you read a message sent to you, the sender is notified that you have read it. The Half-Swipe feature was used to get past this.
Can You Still Half Swipe on Snapchat 2022?
No. There was a Snapchat app update in June 2021 that disabled the Half Swipe feature. After the update, many users complained that half-swiping on a chat still informed the sender. This means if you use Snapchat 2022, even if you perform a half-swipe on a conversation, your Bitmoji will appear in the chat, informing the sender that you have read the message. However, some users report that the feature still works on an older version of Snapchat.
How to Half Swipe on Snapchat
Using the Half Swipe feature on Snapchat is self-explanatory. If you are still not sure how it works, follow these instructions:
- Launch Snapchat on your phone.
- Navigate to the Chat tab and find the Snap that you wish to preview.
- Now press and hold the user’s Bitmoji and then slowly swipe it to the right-hand edge. Do this until the chat goes full screen and the message is opened.
- Keep holding the Bitmoji symbol as you only need to preview it. You must not open the message completely as it will notify the sender that you have seen/read it.
How to Open Snapchat Without Them Knowing if Half Swipe is Removed
Since the Half Swipe feature on Snapchat has been disabled, you can no longer use it to view messages without notifying the sender. However, there are other ways to view Snapchat messages without alerting the sender. These include the following:
Way 1: Use Airplane Mode
This method involves using the Airplane mode of your phone. Here are the instructions:
- Launch Snapchat on your phone and navigate to the Chat tab.
- Find the conversation that you wish to preview without notifying the sender. Then pull down the Quick Settings panel of your phone and activate Airplane mode.
- Now press and hold the user’s Bitmoji and slowly drag it to the right side until you can preview the message.
- Once you have read the message, close the Snapchat app and deactivate Airplane mode.
Way 2: Install a Previous Version on Android
Some users report that the Half Swipe feature still works in old versions of Snapchat on Android. So, if you wish to take advantage of this feature, install a previous version. Here are the instructions:
- Uninstall Snapchat from your phone.
- Use Google to look for the older Snapchat app version (pre-June 2021) and then download the APK and install it.
You can prevent the older version of Snapchat from updating by disabling the auto-update feature in Google Play Store.
Latest FAQs of Half Swipe on Snapchat
Does the Bitmoji Pop Up When You Half Swipe?
No. when you Half Swipe a conversation on Snapchat, your Bitmoji doesn’t pop up. However, sometimes half-swiping doesn’t work. In such cases, your Bitmoji will pop up, notifying the sender that you have read the message.
Does the Snapchat Airplane Mode Trick Work?
Yes. But keep in mind that it will only work until you stay disconnected from the internet. As soon as you connect to the internet again, the sender will get notified that you have read the message.
Even though Half Swipe was an unintentional feature introduced by Snapchat, many users liked it. So, after it was disabled with an app update, a majority of users looked for alternate ways to preview messages without notifying the sender. Some of the alternative methods still work. Those specific methods are highlighted above. We cannot guarantee the effectiveness of those solutions. The only way to be sure is to try them yourself.