Instagram has been evolving rapidly with time with a constant stream of updates that bring new useful features for increased privacy and convenience.
One recent feature allows you to automatically hide a user’s comments from your posts and make your profile basically read-only for them to limit interaction.
It is called the ‘restrict’ feature and the beauty of it is that the user you have restricted will not know that you have restricted them. However, there are solutions for how to know if someone restricted you on Instagram story.
How to Know If Someone Restricted You on Instagram
Officially, there is no process to find out whether someone has restricted you on Instagram. Fortunately, there are other methods that can help you in this regard. These include the following:
Check Comment If Someone Restricted You on Instagram
If someone has restricted you on Instagram, your comments on their post will be publicly hidden. So, looking for your recently made comments on their posts is a great way to learn whether they have restricted you. Here’s how to proceed:
- Create a new account and send a request to the Instagram user who you wish to check. Alternatively, you can use your friend’s account who is also a follower of that user.
- Make a new comment from your main account on one of their posts.
- Now look for this comment on the post from your friend’s account or your secondary account.
If you cannot see the comment from your friend’s account or your secondary account, then it means the user has restricted your main account.
How to Tell If Someone Restricted You on Instagram with Activity Status
When the user posts a story or picture, check their activity. If you are unable to see the last time when they were online, then it means they have restricted you. To use this method, you will need to turn on your Activity Status. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to the Settings section of Instagram.
- Scroll and find the Privacy option and open it.
- Now navigate to the Activity Status>Show activity status option and make sure it is turned “ON”.
How to Know If Someone Restricted You on Instagram by Sending a Message
This is another method to confirm that how to know if someone restricted you on Instagram. Follow these instructions:
- Head toward the profile of the user who you think has restricted you.
- Send a direct message. You can write anything you want. Then wait for the reply.
If your message hasn’t been seen or you do not get a response from the user for a long time, then it is likely that your message moved to their Message Requests section because they have restricted you.
How Do I Restrict or Unrestrict Someone on Instagram?
The restrict and unrestrict options are available to all Instagram users. There are several methods to use them. Read on to learn about the most common methods.
How to Restrict Someone on Instagram
You can restrict someone on Instagram from their profile. Here’s how to do it:
- On Instagram, use your followers’ section or the search option to find the profile you wish to restrict.
- On their profile page, click on the button with three dots to see the available options.
- From the menu, choose the Restrict option. You will see the confirmation that the user has been restricted.
How to Unrestrict Someone on Instagram
You can unrestrict someone on Instagram via the Settings menu. Follow these instructions:
- On Instagram, navigate to Settings > Privacy > Connections.
- Once there, find and select the Restricted Accounts option.
- Now find the user that you wish to unrestrict and then click on the Unrestrict button shown next to their username.
FAQs about If Someone Restricted Me on Instagram
What Happens When Someone Restricts You on Instagram?
When someone restricts you on Instagram, your comments on their post become publicly invisible (they will only be visible to you). Furthermore, any messages that you send to that user will be moved to their Message Requests section. Basically, their Instagram account for you will go into a view-only mode.
Can a Restricted Person See My Posts on Instagram?
Yes. The person you restrict on Instagram will still be able to see your published posts and stories. You will also be able to see their feed, highlights, and stories. The restrict feature only limits interaction, it doesn’t completely stop it like the block feature.
What is the Difference Between Blocking and Restricting Instagram?
Blocking on Instagram fully prevents the user from accessing your account and the content you publish. They cannot view your profile, send you a message, or interact with you in any way. Restricting, on the other hand, lets the user interact with your profile but their comments will stay hidden.
Instagram’s restrict feature is extremely useful to stop negativity, bullying, and hate on the platform. It allows you to effectively control your profile and limit interaction with the users of your choice. However, confirming whether someone has restricted you is tricky. The above-listed guidelines will help you in how do you know if someone restricted you on Instagram.