If you tired of receiving that message from Photoshop, “Smart object is not directly editable”? Don’t worry; you are not alone. This article will explain the reasons behind this error and provide solutions to help you get the most out of your editing experience. So, let’s get started and master the art of Smart Objects!
- 1 Why Does Photoshop Say the Smart Object is Not Directly Editable?
- 2 How to Fix Smart Object is Not Directly Editable
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Conclusion
Why Does Photoshop Say the Smart Object is Not Directly Editable?
When you want to edit a picture on Photoshop, and it shows the error “Smart Object is not directly editable,” the following are the reasons behind this error.
- The image layer that was chosen is now locked. Most of the time, this happens because the selected image layer is locked or partially locked.
- The layer may have vector data in it. It can also happen when you try to erase something with vector data.
How to Fix Smart Object is Not Directly Editable
If you are facing a problem with an error message: “Smart Object is not directly editable,” don’t worry. I will give you three different solutions to help you fix this error. Try each method until you find one that works for you.
1. Unlock the Image Layer
If you see the error “Could not complete your request because the smart object is not directly editable,” don’t worry. The easiest way to fix it is to open the wrong image in Photoshop and unlock the layer. Then you can change the image as needed. This usually works well.
Here is the step-by-step solution
- Open Photoshop.
- Import the picture that shows the error message.
- Go to the Layers tab on the right-hand menu and click on the Lock icon to unlock the partially locked layer before making your choice.
- After the layer is unlocked, choose the area you want to cut, copy, and delete.
- Transform the Smart Object to a Normal Layer.
2. Transform Smart Object into Normat Layer
Another common reason you might get an error is if the data is in a special file that can’t be changed easily. To fix it, you transform the image into a normal layer. For this, open up Photoshop and try one of these methods.
- Double-click the Smart Objects icon in the Layers panel.
- Go to Layer, Smart Objects, and Edit Contents.
- Go to Properties and click on Edit Contents.
You can change the smart object to a normal layer in any of the above ways. You can now try again to change the smart object. If that doesn’t work, try the third way.
3. Rasterize the Layer
You may be trying to use a tool on a shape that is made up of a grid. This can be the reason you are getting an error. To fix this, you need to turn the shape into a picture so that you can use a different type of tool.
- Start by opening Photoshop on your device.
- Right-click on the layer that has the error message and chooses “Rasterize Layer.”
- Once the smart object has been rasterized, you can try doing the same thing that caused the error again to see if the problem has been fixed.
1. What is the smart object in photoshop?
A smart object is a layer in Adobe Photoshop that preserves the original image’s quality and properties while allowing for non-destructive editing. You can resize, transform, and filter Smart objects without losing their original quality, and make them ideal for creating complex designs or composite images.
2. Can Smart Objects can be edited in Photoshop nondestructively?
Yes, you can edit Smart Objects in Photoshop non-destructively. They retain their original quality and allow adjustments without permanently altering the image. This makes them a valuable tool for designers and photographers who want to make changes without compromising the integrity of their work.
3. How to make a smart object in Photoshop?
You can turn multiple layers into one “smart object” in Photoshop. To make a smart object in Photoshop, open the desired image, right-click on the layer, and select “Convert to Smart Object.” This will allow you to apply filters and transformations without losing the original image’s quality.
Photoshop says that Smart Object is not directly editable because it is designed to maintain the quality of the image when resizing or transforming it. It allows users to apply changes without permanently altering the original file. However, users can still make edits to the content of a Smart Object by adopting different methods.